Ravenna, OH • Unified Resources-Portage Industries
Habilitation Coordinator/Direct Support Specialist
Full-Time 40 hours/week
SCHEDULE: Position is Full-Time. Daily work-day start and stop time may vary. The annual work schedule is 260 days including paid holidays.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
The Habilitation Coordinator/Direct Support Specialist is responsible to address and coordinate a wide variety of issues related to service planning, service delivery and special challenges through a person-centered approach, working for the satisfaction of the individual with their involvement in Adult Services. Personal development leading to community inclusion for individuals served is the framework that drives performance of responsibilities and duties in this position. Position holder Instructs, coaches, supports and supervises individuals in group work positions with outside employers and/or within Portage Industries, Inc. Act as a liaison between individuals and Portage Industries, Inc. providing feedback to support individuals’ continued success in the workplace. For individuals that choose an activity-based day program, instruct, coach, support and supervise them in their daily activities.
1. Develop, monitor and assure the implementation of the day program section of the Individual Service Plan (ISP). Observe activities and strategies related to the outcomes in the ISP being implemented and documented. Note strengths, issues, concerns, successes and work with staff to address issues.
2. Participate in team meetings and other scheduled meetings. Develop ideas and strategies regarding the outcomes and activities in the ISP based on knowledge and information about the individual.
3. Provide training and technical assistance for direct service staff, including but not limited to what is “important for” and “important” to the individual. Provide staff training on the ISP in accordance with applicable rules and document training.
4. Assure health and safety of individuals served. Provide information and training for direct service staff regarding medical supports behavior supports, general safety issues and other related information.
5. Representing the organization, serve as primary point of communication with families, residential providers, SSA’s, and other providers of services as necessary and beneficial to the individual.
6. Learn Medicaid rules and company policies that govern program operations and funding. Perform job-related functions in compliance with applicable rules. Assist staff with their understanding of rules and policies and address their questions related to them. Observe day to day operations and address any concerns related to rules and policies with immediate supervisor
7. Complete the intake process for new individuals coming in to the program. Assure proper communication with all internal departments to assure all relevant intake procedures are addressed.
8. Assure opportunities for community participation for individuals served. Opportunities offered are to be based on the interests and skills of each individual. Encourage and support self-advocacy and self-determination.
9. Assure accurate and timely documentation of services delivered. Meet deadlines set by policies, procedures and management directives.
10. Participate in program audits and compliance reviews. Assist and support all compliance efforts. Bring observed non-compliance to the attention of immediate supervisor.
11. Develop rapport and work collaboratively internally and external to the organization in the completion of all responsibilities of the position.
12. Develop and maintain positive working relationships with individuals served, families, SSA’s, other providers and staff and management of the organization.
13. Complies with agency policies and procedures, COA regulations, federal and state requirements, and educational/certification/registry requirements.
14. Instruct, supervise, support and assist individuals in group work placements, work assignments within the organization and in community participation.
15. Assign individuals job duties based on abilities and demand.
16. Serve as a resource to individuals and employers to help individuals succeed in integration into their work and community environments.
17. Work closely with individuals and customers to insure that services are performed correctly and in a timely manner.
18. Complete and submit as instructed all required documentation in a manner that is legible, accurate, timely, and inclusive of all required information, including documentation for services that are funded by Medicaid and documentation for work completed by individuals under U.S. Department of Labor regulations.
19. Develop and maintain working knowledge of rules related to Unusual Incidents and Major Unusual Incidents and report in accordance with rules and agency policy. Position-holder may be involved in problem-solving and corrective action related to these incidents.
20. Attend and complete necessary training in accordance with agency requirements.
21. Other duties as assigned.
1. Must be familiar with and have a working knowledge of applicable rules of the Ohio Department of Developmental Disabilities (ORC and OAC), HIPAA regulations, and internal organizational policies and procedures.
2. Recommend equipment, supplies and materials needed to implement outcome-related activities.
3. Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
4. Accurate and timely documentation, note taking skills and attention to detail are requirements of the job. The success of the position-holder and the organization is dependent on these skills.
5. Two years related experience is preferred. Creative problem solving skills, training and support skills, ability to see issues that need to be addressed and find and implement solutions, skill in coordinating the efforts of people to accomplish a goal. Excellent communication skills required. Knowledge of coordinating services, monitoring services, summarizing data, psychological and behavioral supports, person-centered program plan content and design including outcomes and relevant activities.
6. High school level math, writing and spelling skills are required.
7. Must be able to grasp the culture of a business environment, assess what is required for an individual served to succeed in the environment and provide individualized support leading to success.
8. Must be able to grasp the culture of a business environment, assess what is required for an individual served to succeed in the environment and provide individualized support leading to success.
9. Bachelor’s degree in a related field preferred.
10. Must be able to meet all required credentials as determined by the Ohio Department of Developmental Disabilities. Valid driver’s license required. New employee training and continuing education thereafter required.
MINIMUM EDUCATIONAL/LICENSURE REQUIREMENTS:
High school diploma.
Position holder must be able to stand, walk, lift and move objects. In the performance of these functions, the employee must be able to stoop, bend, twist and crouch. Vision, hearing and speech are required to the extent the employee must be able to understand communication and provide communication regarding duties and responsibilities outlined in this job description. The employee must be able to move and respond quickly when immediate needs of individuals served must be met.
About Family & Community Services, Inc.
As an employee at Family & Community Services you can make a difference. We need people just like you! From providing life’s basic needs – food, clothing and shelter – to counseling and mentoring services, F&CS has touched the lives of countless individuals. No one gets up in the morning and says “I want to have a career in non-profit”. Or maybe they do, it’s truly a calling. You are called to be a difference maker and here, at F&CS, you can make that difference.
The better the workplace experience you have, the better service to our programs and their clients. That’s why we believe in teamwork, continuing education, and dedication. By working together and supporting each other, we have created a culture of service and perseverance.