Kent, OH • Veteran’s Freedom House
Social Service Assistant (less than 20 hours/week)
$15.00/hour – ALL SHIFTS
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: The support worker will be responsible to the manager of the locality within which they are employed and work in conjunction with the Senior Support staff to provide a safe and stimulating environment for residents. They will be expected to work within the policies and procedures of Family & Community Services and work toward the maintenance of excellent service standards and professional practices.
1. To assist in the efficient running of the facility and its therapeutic programming and other general duties associated.
2. Answering phones, directing inbound phone calls and taking messages.
3. To keep front office organized.
4. Make and track a list of office and facility supplies. (As needed)
5. Check Fire Extinguishers monthly.
6. Conduct Fire drill monthly.
7. Check and log all facility refrigeration temperatures accordingly. (As needed)
8. Prepare rooms for incoming residents.
9. Contact vendors regarding HVAC, pest control and other facility needs. (As needed)
10. Maintain and update medication logs.
11. Receive, log and process donations.
12. Complete check requests. (As needed)
13. Prepare meals, on occasion, for residents.
14. Track therapeutic attendance.
15. Complete contact summary and address the potential client inquiries, and make referrals.
16. As assigned by Senior Support Worker, complete intake paperwork, gather identification and file resident documentation.
17. Assist residents to communicate and liaise with various agencies to secure appointments. (E.g. veterans services, Department of Veterans Affairs, Housing Authority, Department of Job and Family Services, probation services, etc.…).
18. Accompany residents to appointments with any of the above agencies if necessary. (As needed)
19. Promote anti-discriminatory practice ensuring that no resident is discriminated against on the grounds of race, class, gender, religious beliefs, disability, or sexual orientation.
20. To be able to adapt to the environment you are working in, this could be part of a team or own initiative in a variety of settings.
21. To provide a level of support necessary to ensure all residents experience an improved quality of life (e.g. leisure facilities, social skills, enabling informed choices, and therapeutic skills).
22. To attend staff meetings and trainings as required by management.
23. To foster positive working relationships with other staff members.
24. Maintain up-to-date knowledge of internal fire regulations and procedures and any other emergency procedures ensures health and safety standards are maintained.
25. Report timely for all assigned shifts.
26. Complies with agency policies and procedures, COA regulations, federal and state requirements, and educational/certification/registry requirements.
27. Other duties as assigned.
1. Ability to model open communication, fair and equitable treatment, and display caring and compassion.
2. Excellent in-person, phone, email and written communication skills for team members and clients, even in stressful situations
3. Knowledge of community services.
4. Must possess Microsoft Word skills.
5. Valid Ohio Driver’s License and ability to meet agency requirements for driving insurability if applicable.
6. Must be able to meet agency requirements for criminal back ground check (Ohio Bureau of Criminal Identification & Investigation)
7. Must have reliable transportation and a phone.
MINIMUM EDUCATIONAL/LICENSURE REQUIREMENTS: CPR/First Aid Certification preferred.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS: Experience working in crisis intervention preferred.
About Family & Community Services, Inc.
As an employee at Family & Community Services you can make a difference. We need people just like you! From providing life’s basic needs – food, clothing and shelter – to counseling and mentoring services, F&CS has touched the lives of countless individuals. No one gets up in the morning and says “I want to have a career in non-profit”. Or maybe they do, it’s truly a calling. You are called to be a difference maker and here, at F&CS, you can make that difference.
The better the workplace experience you have, the better service to our programs and their clients. That’s why we believe in teamwork, continuing education, and dedication. By working together and supporting each other, we have created a culture of service and perseverance.