Kent, OH • Miller Community House – Portage County
Senior Social Service Assistant
SCHEDULE: (Determined on a case by case basis)
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Provide shift coverage, administrative support, house management, referrals and assist with on-call duties.
1. Provides shelter coverage as scheduled.
2. Responsible for shelter Coordinated Entry procedures and assist with implementation of Diversion Screening Practices.
3. Creates & manages shelter coverage schedule. Assists with training new Housing Specialist.
4. Assist Director with management of volunteer schedule, on-site tours as well as donor-specific outreach including but not limited Christmas Adoption planning and holiday events.
5. Completes monthly Food Bank, Change Hunger and PRC billing reports.
6. Complies with annual site visits and maintains food storage policies as set by the Food Bank.
7. Using a Client Centered model provides intervention, support and referrals to crisis line callers and facilitate a supportive environment to families at the shelter, while assuring that shelter policies and procedures are followed at all times.
8. Completes client intakes according to shelter policy and procedures. Maintains confidential client files.
9. Notifies local police and other authorities of emergency situations.
10. Report suspicion of child abuse immediately.
11. Ensure open communication between yourself and others working in the shelter, both during shift exchange and documentation.
12. Completes specific chores during shift to assist in the general upkeep of the shelter facility and grounds. Identifies problems or unmet needs to the Director of Housing Services.
13. Attends monthly staff meetings, and participates in staff development activities.
14. Attends monthly/quarterly agency & community meetings as necessary.
15. Works cooperatively with other staff members and volunteers to ensure conscientious and competent service delivery to shelter residents.
16. Completes all necessary paperwork/required documentation as directed.
17. Completes other tasks as assigned by Director or designee.
18. Complies with agency policies and procedures, COA regulations, federal and state requirements, and educational/certification/registry requirements.
1. Ability to model open communication, fair and equitable treatment, management of conflicts and work in a team structure.
2. Proficient in Microsoft Office.
3. Valid Ohio Driver’s License and ability to meet agency requirements for driving insurability.
4. Must be able to meet agency requirements for criminal back ground check (Ohio Bureau of Criminal Identification & Investigation).
MINIMUM EDUCATIONAL/LICENSURE REQUIREMENTS: High school degree or equivalent, pursing a degree in social work and/or related field. Certification of CPR and First Aid.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS: Minimum one year experience working in a shelter.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Must be able to climb stairs, bend, and stretch above shoulder level. Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs.
About Family & Community Services, Inc.
As an employee at Family & Community Services you can make a difference. We need people just like you! From providing life’s basic needs – food, clothing and shelter – to counseling and mentoring services, F&CS has touched the lives of countless individuals. No one gets up in the morning and says “I want to have a career in non-profit”. Or maybe they do, it’s truly a calling. You are called to be a difference maker and here, at F&CS, you can make that difference.
The better the workplace experience you have, the better service to our programs and their clients. That’s why we believe in teamwork, continuing education, and dedication. By working together and supporting each other, we have created a culture of service and perseverance.