Kent, OH • Family & Community Services -Safer Futures Shelter
Resident Advocate – Safer Futures Domestic Violence Shelter
SCHEDULE: Variable; 40 hrs/wk and on-call hours, some evenings and weekends required
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
Provide support, advocacy, case management, and development/adjustment services for survivors entering shelter. Must have a reasonable knowledge of community resources and social service programming to provide clients with appropriate assistance. Must provide services to survivors from a trauma-informed perspective and have knowledge of trauma-informed practices.
1. Provide case management to adults entering into shelter.
2. Conduct initial assessment for adults within 24-48 hours of arrival.
3. Meet with residents regularly, document meetings in case notes and follow up reports, establish a case plan and follow up on progress.
4. Make necessary referrals to connect residents with appropriate community resources and agencies in order to complete case plan goals.
5. Keep detailed notes and records, maintain required statistics.
6. Facilitate resident educational groups in house.
7. Develop volunteer/internship program to provide residents with additional assistance and activities.
8. Implement or coordinate supportive services that foster social, emotional and educational growth.
9. Provide crisis intervention for residents in shelter as well as potential intakes via the crisis line.
10. Provide the provision of referrals and assisting residents in their interactions with health care providers, social services, legal services and landlords as needed.
11. Maintain contacts with all resident-serving agencies and systems. Attend collaborative network meetings.
12. Report all suspected cases of child abuse or neglect to the proper authority as mandated by state law, agency policy and VAWA guidelines.
13. Adhere to all program and agency reporting requirements.
14. Participate in team planning, program goal achievements, and new staff training with other team staff.
15. Participate in program fundraising efforts.
16. Works cooperatively with other staff members and volunteers to ensure conscientious, competent and trauma informed service delivery to shelter residents.
17. Complies with agency policies and procedures, COA regulations, federal and state requirements, and educational/certification/registry requirements.
18. Fulfill other duties as assigned
1. Ability to collaborate with area service providers to optimize resident adjustment and progress.
2. Ability to model open communication, fair and equitable treatment and conflict management skills.
3. Background in case management.
4. Understanding of domestic violence and trauma in the family and in the community.
5. Valid Ohio Driver’s License and ability to meet agency requirements for driving insurability.
6. Must be able to meet agency requirements for criminal back ground check.
MINIMUM EDUCATIONAL/LICENSURE REQUIREMENTS:
Bachelor’s Degree in social work, human services, human development or related field; and/or two years experience working with survivors of domestic violence and/or social services.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
One to two years working in a domestic violence shelter, experience utilizing community resources.
Must be able to climb stairs, bend, and stretch above shoulder level. Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs.
About Family & Community Services, Inc.
As an employee at Family & Community Services you can make a difference. We need people just like you! From providing life’s basic needs – food, clothing and shelter – to counseling and mentoring services, F&CS has touched the lives of countless individuals. No one gets up in the morning and says “I want to have a career in non-profit”. Or maybe they do, it’s truly a calling. You are called to be a difference maker and here, at F&CS, you can make that difference.
The better the workplace experience you have, the better service to our programs and their clients. That’s why we believe in teamwork, continuing education, and dedication. By working together and supporting each other, we have created a culture of service and perseverance.