Kent, OH • Family & Community Services – Portage County
Full Time (40 hours/week)
No Nights, No Weekends
POSITION TITLE: Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN)
REPORTS TO: Clinical Director and Medical Director
Administrative supervision is under the Clinical Director while medical supervision of nursing functions is under the supervision of the Medical Director.
SCHEDULE: (Determined on a case by case basis) Dictated by client and agency need but based on a 40 hour work week. 8:30 am to 5:00 pm, Mon. – Fri. is standard, however, hours may vary based upon agency need. Evening work may also be required. Each Practical Nurse is administratively assigned to one location; however, they provide services in all locations to meet client and agency needs.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Under the supervision of the Medical Director and other VCS physicians and to the extent permitted by Federal and State regulations, the primary functions of this position are to administer medication, screen and handle any questions and concerns from clients regarding medical issues, assist the psychiatrists in their role, and contributes through observation and reports physical health concerns of clients. With specific medical authorization and orders from the prescribing physician, administers a variety of medications to clients. Check behavior and record necessary vital signs and reactions.
1. Assist agency physicians through the observation and recording of client behavior, condition, and response to medication.
2. Provide emergency care and first aid services as needed.
3. In absence of a physician, contributes through observation and reporting of clients during crisis regarding medication and health issues and take appropriate action in consultation with Medical Director or other VCS psychiatrist or VCS RN.
4. Receive medication orders from agency physicians and phone orders to appropriate pharmacy.
5. Assist clients in need of medication administration by taking necessary appropriate measures.
6. Attend and participate in staff meetings, in-service training, supervision, various committees as assigned including Performance Improvement, workshops, and other meetings to receive information and instructions as well as to remain current and accurate on procedures, policies, and techniques. Serve on committees designed to develop/review policies and procedures.
7. Serve other departments, programs, and/or service locations, on a full or part-time basis, as needed and as assigned.
8. Complete all documentation in a legible and timely manner according to the policies of VCS and the Ohio Department of Mental Health and provide necessary data for statistical and billing purposes.
9. Communicate in a timely and accurate manner all client-related issues and concerns to all other staff providing service to the client to ensure coordination of care.
10. Maintain effective working relationships with co-workers and make every attempt to resolve work-related difficulties with the co-worker in a timely fashion.
11. Communicate all concerns regarding the program functioning and client care to the immediate clinical or administrative supervisor.
12. Maintain current knowledge of all applicable VCS policies and procedures and function according to these standards.
13. Be knowledgeable of and adhere to all pertinent federal, state, and local laws; standards of the Ohio Department of Mental Health; and appropriate professional ethical standards.
14. Participate on VCS committees as assigned.
15. Perform those duties specific and customary to the service unit in which assigned.
16. Identify the key areas where the position is accountable for achieving results. Key accomplishments are defined as the end results to be achieved by the position.
17. Complies with agency policies and procedures, COA regulations, federal and state requirements, and educational/certification/registry requirements.
1. The Practical Nurse is required to have the following skills with a general psychiatric population Oral and intramuscular administration of medications as prescribed
Gathering and recording of health information
Clinical interview methods
Capacity for collecting, organizing, and reporting data in order to reach valid clinical conclusions regarding the mental health and physical health of the client
Skills in crisis intervention and emergency services
Specialized knowledge of the psychotropic medications and side-effects
Knowledge of DSM diagnoses
Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing
Ability to establish and maintain clinically effective relationship with clients and significant others
Ability to function as part of an organization by working with others and by adhering to established policies and procedures.
2. This position requires training in First Aid, CPR and De-escalation techniques.
3. All licenses/certifications applicable to Licensed Practical Nurse in the State of Ohio including proof of training in medication administration required.
4. Reliable transportation with valid Ohio Driver’s License and ability to meet agency requirements for driving insurability.
5. Must be able to meet agency requirements for criminal background check (Ohio Bureau of Criminal Identification & Investigation).
MINIMUM EDUCATIONAL/LICENSURE REQUIREMENTS: The position requires a practical nursing degree from an accredited institution, which meets the requirements for Practical Nurse status in the State of Ohio and training in medication administration.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS: Prior mental health nursing experience is desired.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Ability to communicate: read, write, and speak clearly. Must be able to drive to off-site locations. Walking bending, sitting, hearing, seeing and ability to lift up to 25 lbs. required.
About Family & Community Services, Inc.
As an employee at Family & Community Services you can make a difference. We need people just like you! From providing life’s basic needs – food, clothing and shelter – to counseling and mentoring services, F&CS has touched the lives of countless individuals. No one gets up in the morning and says “I want to have a career in non-profit”. Or maybe they do, it’s truly a calling. You are called to be a difference maker and here, at F&CS, you can make that difference.
The better the workplace experience you have, the better service to our programs and their clients. That’s why we believe in teamwork, continuing education, and dedication. By working together and supporting each other, we have created a culture of service and perseverance.