Kent, OH • Miller Community House
Miller Community House
Full-Time 40 hours/week
SCHEDULE: Variable; 40 hrs/wk and on-call hours, some evenings and weekends required
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
Provide support, advocacy, development and adjustment services for participating youth; ensure educational continuity with school of origin as per parent/guardian choice; collaborate with child and parent-service agencies to establish and maintain assistance as needed.
1. Implement or coordinate supportive services that foster social, emotional and educational growth.
2. Ensure to the greatest extent possible that educational enrollment is not disrupted by homelessness.
3. Provide crisis intervention for parents in shelter as well as to potential intakes via crisis line.
4. Provide age-appropriate case management to all children while in shelter.
5. Oversee the provision of referrals and assisting families in their interactions with schools, health care providers, social services and legal services as needed.
6. Maintain contacts with all child and parent-serving agencies and systems. Attends appropriate collaborative networks.
7. Provide parent education and referrals and other related support to mother and fathers at Miller Community House and ongoing as they transition into transitional/permanent housing.
8. Report all suspected cases of child abuse or neglect to the proper authority as mandated by state law and agency policy.
9. Provides a supportive, trauma-informed environment to families at the shelter and associated housing programs.
10. Create children’s programming to ensure available activities for children of all ages while in shelter.
11. Recruit, interview and approve volunteers and interns to assist with children’s programming.
12. Adhere to all program and agency reporting requirements.
13. Participate in team planning, program goal achievements, and new staff training with other team staff.
14. Participate in program fundraising efforts.
15. Complies with agency policies and procedures, COA regulations, federal and state requirements, and educational/certification/registry requirements.
16. Any other duties as assigned
1. Ability to collaborate with parents, teachers and other service providers to optimize youth’s adjustment and progress.
2. Ability to model open communication, fair and equitable treatment and conflict management skills.
3. Understanding of homelessness and trauma informed care with shelter families and their children.
4. Valid Ohio Driver’s License and ability to meet agency requirements for driving insurability.
5. Must be able to meet agency requirements for criminal background check.
MINIMUM EDUCATIONAL/LICENSURE REQUIREMENTS:
Bachelor’s Degree in Human Services, Education or related field and/or two years experience in child development and/or social services
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
One-Two years experience working in a shelter and/or with housing programming. Experience utilizing community resources and connections with resources.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs.
About Family & Community Services, Inc.
As an employee at Family & Community Services you can make a difference. We need people just like you! From providing life’s basic needs – food, clothing and shelter – to counseling and mentoring services, F&CS has touched the lives of countless individuals. No one gets up in the morning and says “I want to have a career in non-profit”. Or maybe they do, it’s truly a calling. You are called to be a difference maker and here, at F&CS, you can make that difference.
The better the workplace experience you have, the better service to our programs and their clients. That’s why we believe in teamwork, continuing education, and dedication. By working together and supporting each other, we have created a culture of service and perseverance.